Feeling stressed? Here are some tips that will help give you peace in an unpredictable world …
- Humans are social creatures, we crave feeling supported, valued and connected. A network of social support helps improve one’s capacity to cope with stressful situations, alleviates some emotional distress, and promotes good mental health. Studies show that being socially connected increases happiness and leads to better health and a longer life.
- Make a list of the people you can turn to. These are people that you trust to support you and make an effort to contact them regularly. Reach out to them and ask for specific kinds of help. Remember, people can’t read your mind and it’s not fair to expect them to.
- One way to handle stress is to write things down. Many studies have shown that journaling is a valuable tool to improve mental health. It also helps you organize your thoughts and, as needed, present your viewpoint in a calm, collected manner.
- The soothing power of music is well-established. It affects our emotions and can be an extremely effective stress management tool. Try to listen to relaxing and upbeat music for optimal impacts.
- When looking for an excellent distraction, laughter really is the best medicine. Laughter stops distressing emotions. It helps you shift perspective, allowing you to see situations in a more realistic, less threatening light. It’s also an easy and fun way to take respite.
- Being selective about what you take on, saying no to things that will unnecessarily add to your load helps reduce your stress levels.